Tuesday, October 17, 2006

HONESTY ... taking the first step in changing money habits


The first and most important step in changing money habits is to become aware of them and to HONESTLY acknowledge them. This will help you recognize negative patterns of behavior. You can change an undesireable habit by committing to change the patterns of how you think. What you consciously think about over and over again can reinforce positive thoughts in your subconxcious BEFORE you make a financial choice.

A new habit can become a part of you in just 40 days. Start by making one small action change at a time. BELIEVE that deeper self-awareness and conscious actions will lead to your spiritual truths to give your life fulfillment regardless of what life brings.

Step #1: HONESTY
Honesty uncovers subconscious feelings about money. Think about this simple exercise:
• What is your earliest childhood recollection of money?
• What did your parents (or other adults) discuss about money?
• How do these memories make you feel?
• How do those memories influence your financial decisions today?

My earliest recollections of money related to the ebb and flow of my father’s self-employment. He turned money over to Mom. She rigidly controlled household finances to stay out of debt and to ensure a cushion for perpetual rainy days. Mom’s deep money anxieties stemmed from growing up during the Depression. Splurging outside the budget was always tinged with guilt. I grew up with contradictory feelings – confidence in the financial security at home and an undercurrent of fear of impending disaster.

Looking back, I can see that those childhood feelings affected my adult money habits. Laboring to ensure financial security, I became a workaholic. I relinquished responsibility for household finances to my spouse, but fear of unplanned expenses triggered horrific arguments. Guilt curtailed personal purchases for myself, but I rationalized overindulging my children. It was painful to see that I was a product of my past, but new awareness meant that I didn’t have to be a prisoner of it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home